Hey, it’s only glorified spring training, right? What’s the harm of picking the Venezuelan side of Team USA’s upcoming game in the World Baseball Classic? I mean, I know I don’t have a dead soldier for a son, but I’m still within my rights.
Squigglio went 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, and two runs in the Hugoland’s 10-1 rout of the Italian-Americans.
Ordoñez is joined on Team V. by Carlos Guillen, Miguel Cabrera and Armando Galarraga, which is, like, 90 percent of the Tigers right there. (The other 10 percent is the abandoned Citgo on 9 Mile.) So is cheering for the ‘Zuelans the same thing as renouncing my love for American soil? Well, no. For one, “Zuelans” — which I just came up with right now — sounds like I’m cheering for an alien life force. And secondly, wanting the USA to win is equivalent to wishing good things for Derek Jeter and Dustin Pedroia. No thank you, Unkie Sam.
It’s just a made up baseball tournament which means nothing. So I’ll wave my emotional Venetian flag (it has slats in the middle so you can see through it) and wish them the best of luck. And if they get bumped out, that’s fine too. That’ll be less time I feel jingoistically conflicted.